Balance is Better
In 2021 Badminton New Zealand joined the collective of NSOs and RSTs in support of the Sport New Zealand’s Balance is Better philosophy.
Balance is Better is an evidence-based philosophy to support quality sport experiences for all young people, regardless of ability, needs and motivations. It is about young people staying involved in sport for life and realising their potential at the right time.
The Balance is Better philosophy has been developed by the New Zealand sport system to support the culture change needed to provide quality sport opportunities for tamariki and rangatahi across Aotearoa.
Since 2021, Badminton New Zealand has;
- Identified Badminton New Zealand BiB Champions to share their stories and journey with their sport.
- Formed an advisory group with members from across Aotearoa focussed on supporting Badminton New Zealand with developing a badminton system that understands Balance Is Better philosophies and leads the implementation of relevant actions that ensures a balanced approach for all participants in all forms of badminton from community to performance.
- Introduced initiatives to ensure players have positive experiences at all national events and programmes.
- Delivered education sessions to Associations and parent groups around the Balance is Better philosophy and supporting our tamariki and rangatahi.
Balance is Better Advisory Group
The Badminton New Zealand’s Balance is Better Advisory Group was established in March 2022.
The purpose of this advisory group is to determine and develop Badminton New Zealand’s Balance is Better approach, philosophy, and framework. Along with developing a badminton system that understands Balance Is Better philosophies and leads the implementation of relevant actions that ensures a balanced approach for all participants in all forms of badminton from community to performance.
The Advisory group currently consists of the following people:
- Donna Trow (General Manager, Badminton New Zealand)
- Oliver Leydon-Davis (Former New Zealand Player)
- Jack Wang (Balance is Better Champion, Youth Voice)
- Jo Christie (Mainland Region)
- James Veitch (Central Region)
- Delwyn Cooper (Northern Region)
- Glenn Cox (Northern Region)
The advisory group is committed to working collaboratively as one Badminton system, to provide quality and consistent Badminton experiences for all participants. A quality Badminton experience is the fundamental driver of attracting and retaining participants in Badminton.
Introducing Jack Wang, Balance is Better Champion
The Balance is Better (BiB) Champions Programme was launched in early 2023.
The purpose of the BiB Champions Programme is:
- to engage Champions (influential people) to carry BiB messages and speak about the value of sport in their lives.
- to raise awareness of Balance is Better and advocate for change in youth sport and/or the value of sport to youth.
Badminton New Zealand is excited to announce current New Zealand Development Squad member Jack Wang as our Balance is Better Champion.
Age limitations apply to Sanctioned, Inter-Association, and National Events from 2023 onwards.
These changes have been put in place to ensure that we provide quality and consistent Badminton experiences for all participants. A quality Badminton experience is the fundamental driver of attracting and retaining participants in Badminton.
For more information, please see: Event Age Restrictions