Dear Badminton Stakeholders
I hope you are well as we again work through the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. As you will be aware the New Zealand Government are shifting the COVID-19 Alert Levels for Auckland from Level 1 to Level 3 and the rest of New Zealand from Level 1 to Level 2 at midday today till at least midnight Friday 14th August 2020.
We had anticipated that this may occur and are now implementing our plans around what this means for the badminton community.
Please note that at all times our badminton community should first and foremost follow the requirements and advice of the New Zealand Government, the Ministry of Health and Sport New Zealand.
The websites for these organisations are at the bottom of this email.
Attached is the information as a reminder from the Sport New Zealand website regarding sport at the different Alert Levels. We anticipate an update from Sport New Zealand and will provide this as soon as we have this.
At this stage our advice is simple – follow the New Zealand Government and Sport New Zealand guidelines and ensure your community safety is put first. We recommend only continuing to participate and deliver badminton if it can be done safely while meeting all the requirements set out in the guidelines.
Please note the following actions we are undertaking:
- Badminton New Zealand have suspended all activities, programmes, events and competitions inside the Auckland region until at least midnight Friday 14th August 2020. This includes all New Zealand National Squad training.
- Badminton New Zealand strongly recommends that all badminton associations, clubs, facilities, activities, events and competitions in the Auckland region follow the Alert Level 3 guidelines from midday today till midnight Friday 14th August 2020.
- Unfortunately with the Auckland Region at Alert Level 3 till midnight Friday 14th August 2020, Badminton New Zealand will suspend the North Island Regional Senior Inter-Association Northern Divisions and North Island Regional Super-Vets Inter-Association Northern Divisions and they will not take place on Saturday 15th August 2020. This will monitored and we will be in direct communication with competing associations.
- The Central Divisions of the North Island Regional Senior and Super-Vets Inter-Association Northern Divisions can be played under Alert Level 2 restrictions and guidelines and will continue as scheduled for Saturday 15th August 2020. This will monitored and we will be in direct communication with competing associations.
- The Mainland Development Camp to be delivered by Badminton New Zealand in Christchurch this weekend can be delivered under Alert Level 2 restrictions and guidelines and will continue as scheduled.
- Badminton New Zealand are currently reviewing all other activities, programmes, events and competitions outside of the Auckland region and will work through this process to determine whether we can safely continue under Alert Level 2 restrictions.
- Badminton New Zealand will contact all participants in events, competitions and activities delivered by Badminton New Zealand in the Auckland region in the last seven days and reinforce the Ministry of Health messaging regarding COVID-19.
- Badminton New Zealand have significant events and competitions scheduled in August/September. This includes Badminton New Zealand Inter-Association Ties, New Zealand Tertiary Championships and New Zealand Masters Championships. We are working with our partners and will have more information on an outcome for these events and competitions as soon as we can. We want to make the most informed decision we can to ensure the safety of our badminton community.
We will be back in touch as soon as we know more and will communicate this information through our email database, our website and social media platforms.
Please note that this information can change quickly – so please check our website – www.badminton.org.nz and Facebook page for all the latest updates.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me or any Badminton New Zealand staff if you have questions, concerns or need help in any way.
I look forward to being in touch.
Badminton New Zealand